Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Tips For You Until Help Arrives
SERVPRO of East Portland understands the stress and chaos when water damages occur. We are on the go ready to restore any water disaster. Always keep in mind safety is first. We are available 24/7 to come and mitigate any size water loss. Our techs keep in mind to make your home or property “Like it never even happened.”
Most Important Tips:
- If it is safe, shut off the source of water.
- Turn off the electrical breaker(s) to the water areas.
- Be aware of your limitations. Let SERVPRO professionals handle the disaster.
- Wet materials can be heavy, use caution.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (971) 279-2420
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.